7.27.2005

it's like an ant fighting GOD

I was thinking about ants, and how it was told to me that ants would carry their dead away.
For some reason it really struck me today and I got teary eyed for some unknown reason...
so if only to honour the DFs that I had to kill in order to preserve the sanctitiy of my home,
I did some research...

http://amos.indiana.edu/library/scripts/ants.html

Ants pick up their dead family members, the very ants you stepped on.
Ants keep a fairly clean house. They carry their waste matter outside
of their nest and dispose of it in a pile called a midden. As well as
being a kind of
dumpster, the midden also functions as a cemetery.
Ants transport their dead there in
order to protect themselves and
their queen from contamination.
The reason has to do with the way ants communicate with each other-via
chemicals. When an ant dies, its body releases a chemical called oleic
acid. Oleic acid translates to dumpster material for ants. So even
though you flushed those casualties down the toilet, the oleic acid
had already been released; and other ants were responding to its call.





"Eventhough they are little ants, they know enough to carry their dead."
As in it genetically impossible for them to 'leave anyone behind'.
... & that is the most hardcore of all.
: (


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow, I never knew that. Ants are cool for one more reason now. O.O

I still have pics of you kicking ant ass in your bathroom when I was there, with the piece of TP plugging up the drainage hole in the sink and all. XD

--J.

7:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I would respect that so much more if I didn't hate ants SO DAMN MUCH. ><;;;

10:41 PM  
Blogger Sniperboy said...

I think the duality of feelings towards them is what makes it so perplexing... Much like how you are supposed to hate your enemies but sometimes can't help but respect them and their cultures.

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home