2.20.2007

Strayer-Voight INFINITY custom 1911



It's a very unhealthy habit.. : D but I got myself a new 1911.
It is interesting, and it rings true time and time again that the HUNT is a lot of times more exciting than the prize. When I first got into 1911s (and pistols in general) this firearm was my DREAM GUN. 5 years later - I have focused my attention to other guns - and at times have realized the folly of my desires for bling, flash and other things that can be noted as superfluous.
This is one of those things - while my heart has wandered elsewhere this was still on the back of my mind. I first saw this actual gun in 1993. This was when I realized that I adored the blocky look of OPERATOR/FULL DUSTCOVER style 1911s. I had accepted that this gun would never be sold to me - until today that is.

BUSHIDO as I call her for now, treads a delicate line between a race ready ricer and a behemothic combat operative. While we can argue this all night long, she is what she is.

Specs:
Strayer-Voight INFINITY (SVI)
custom build full dustcover, 5" government style model.

Built by "big in Japan" pistolsmith Aaron Harris of SMOKING HOLE PISTOL DESIGN.
Bar-Sto bull barrel, MMC adjustible sights, serrated flat top slide, Titanium-Aluminum Nitride black coat, to name a few... Chambered in.. ofcourse.. the venerate man stopping .45 ACP

At any rate.. what's next? Onto the next hunt.
This is one less reason for me to leave Kalifornia since I promised myself that a pistol like this would be my first purchase when I left the kommunist khurch state. Thanks to a loophole, this is in my collection and I get to stay in the golden state a little bit longer.

6 Comments:

Blogger Sniperboy said...

Since I am totally excited and love to watch myself type ; ) I thought to expound on some points to those who curious to take note...

All legalities and loopholes aside (since that would take forever) - What exactly makes this SVI a combat pistol versus a rice rocket??

So... WHAT IF THE ZOMBIES COME?

BULL BARREL adds weight and girth, increasing lockup reliability and accuracy and consistency with each shot, is harder to disassemble and clean on the field. Custom BAR-STO barrel has a tighter chamber and can be picky of ammo other than mint factory spec (home made reloads are questionable).

Light rail channel gives you the ability to add a red dot sighting system or flashlight combination. Not easily concealed but not a problem for open carry when the shit hits the fan.

Blocky FULL DUSTCOVER (the unfluted shape of the block under the barrel) adds weight. There are many arguing schools of thoght to this. The weight dampens recoil considerably and lets you recover from each shot. This is very good when shooting multiple rounds into a single opponent. Say.. a very LARGE, very ANGRY boss monster : )

-however I (and many speed shooters who are considered champions) feel it is hard to swing the gun to acquire multiple targets.

Very light (pounds) trigger pull is less desirable for combat. Not only from a liability standpoint, but from firing when you didn't intend to.

Adjustible sights may be knocked out of alignment as opposed to fixed. The MMC design, while not my favourite is not as bulky as large target adjustible sights or scopes.

Magazine capacity. The SVI can accept high capacity magazines - up to 14 to 16 rounds without having a magazine that extends too far from the base of the grip (and snag). This is opposed to the standard 7 to 8 rounds on the original GI 1911.

-high capacity double stack magazines - I feel - seem weaker and less reliable than standard single stack magazines.

I am not sure if I will consider this battle worthy just yet.

9:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for adding on that extra info in the comment--when I was reading the post itself, I felt kind of sad that I couldn't really appreciate the specialness of this piece due to my comparative ignorance about gun construction. ^^; But I understand much better now (and I can see why you're wavering over its usefulness).

> All legalities and loopholes aside (since that would take forever)
Damn.

> Not easily concealed but not a problem for open carry when the shit hits the fan.
Or if you were to move to Happy Open Carry Land, aka. Arizona. XD (j/k, I know it won't happen.)

Thanks for the post. :)

--J.

6:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I have to ask.. what does it weigh... You know my stance on one of these as a combat pistol... I have a gun with a bushingless barrel, light rail, full dust cover, fixed tritium night sights, but it's still easy to disassemble, has never had any reliablity problems and is still pretty accurate... And it holds 15rnds of better ammo... the best part is you sold it to me without ever shooting it, and for what 1/4th the price of this gun :p

-T

6:26 AM  
Blogger Sniperboy said...

Hey man! Don't ya know there's only room for one hero in ths blog?!?!

I'll email ya tomorrow, T ; )

11:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sniperboy, you've got taste!!

Stay sharp!!

SpecOps66

6:39 AM  
Blogger Sniperboy said...

Thanks bro!

8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home