6.21.2006

Guns, Girls, Alchohol and Testosterone

(none of the first three should be taken at the same time)
I heard an intriguing tidbit on the radio today. God bless Kalifornia.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1522984.cms

Here is an excerpt of it:
Handling a gun stirs a hormonal reaction in men that primes them for aggression, Psychologists at Knox College in Galesburg, Illinois, enrolled 30 male students in what they described as a taste study.

The researchers took saliva samples from the students and measured testosterone levels. They then seated the young men, one at a time, at a table in a bare room; on the table were pieces of paper and either the board game Mouse Trap or a large handgun.

Their instructions: Take apart the game or the gun and write directions for assembly and disassembly.

Fifteen minutes later, the psychologists measured saliva testosterone again and found that the levels had spiked in men who had handled the gun but had stayed steady in those working with the board game. (more notes on active aggression pointed out in th earticle)

Now there was once a time where I would simply be pretty close minded and regard this as a blatant attack to guns, then start calling the other party derogatory names. (and ofcourse the radio star, John Tesh, proceeds to say that (though it is not mentioned in the artcile) the suggestion is not to buy your children handguns or first person shooter video games.) However the more I am educated in the way some anti-gunners (or simply people of a different opinion) are, the more I want to listen to their point of view and while someties I coe up short in a retort, it does reinforce my side of the story eventually...

Everyone is welcome to believe what they want (and raise their children the way they want) In my opinion, Kalifornia has done well in requiring a person aged 21 and older to take a written exam and a practical exam (the latter practical exam for EACH AND EVERY HANDGUN they buy, that to me is redundant and a tax for an educated mind). In my opinion not everyone is responsible or educated enough to buy a gun... The more I learn about the violent and legal reprecussions of handgun misuse the more I respect this tool for its capabilities. I do not think that law abiding citizens should be punished for acts of CRIMINALS.

If I were to make a research study, I would ask an UNLICENSED 13 year old to drive me to the store. However I would know better - and doubt the results would be very nice. Ofcourse if I were to do that I would be accused for having a skewed and unconclusional result.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get annoyed with studies like this... Of course the body will instinctively prep itself when handling weaponry. Not only guns -- try swords... clubs, for crying out loud... anything that is associated with fighting and war. It's a natural mechanism to bump up the system before a fight -- after all, we are a species where our males are aggressive by design, and it's how we've survived for thousands of years.

Why the hell can't the damn liberals get it through their thick skulls that the anomaly in humans is pacifism, and not aggression? Instead of finding ways to turn kids into shielded braindead medicated huggable zombies, why not teach them to control and find useful channels for aggression? Or is their ultimate goal a society of dummies with plastic smiles bullied by a bunch of loose criminals in whatever disguises they've figured out for themselves?

...

Er... *flips switch* *happily dances away*

--II

8:48 PM  
Blogger Sniperboy said...

and...that was more eloquent than I could have put it!

Thanks for posting II-kun :) TOTAL GENIUS!

11:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another thing to consider is the difficulty in disassembling and reassembling the product. I mean how hard is to take apart and build "Mouse-Trap" we all did it as a kid. It is possible that the rise in testosterone was due to frustration the person had in taking the gun apart and putting it back together with no previous knowledge of how to do so or any instructions. I believe they should have required them to assemble another product that was just as difficult.

The conclusions of this study are quite forced, and obiously have an agenda.

T

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home